Instructional Design & Instructing (Online Synchronous): Introduction WordPress
After receiving approval from the Continuing Education Department of the University of Calgary to develop a new course on WordPress, Andrew developed the syllabus and a 10-week online synchronous course with 30 hours of instructional face time.
This course was designed for those with no prior knowledge of coding or web development. The goal was to take the learner through the journey of planning out their website idea, introduce them to many topics and techniques around WordPress, including the editors (Classic & Gutenberg/Block), page builders and all the basic settings. An introduction to Search Engine Optimization as well as social sharing tactics and website security was also covered.
Assignments and discussion boards were used to assess learning as the learners built their websites during the 10 weeks using topics and techniques covered in the classes.
- Use WordPress essential terminology to identify its benefits when compared to other website builders
- Design and produce a functional website to include content, images and other media viewable on the web
- Assess, install and activate themes and plugins to customize the appearance and extend the functionality of your website
- Plan and apply search engine optimization (SEO) and social sharing
- Apply sound techniques to maintain and secure your website